Pearcey Report

Pearcey Report

Saturday, March 5, 2011

What About…..? For Starters

Entitled A Conversation with God, the title is a bit mis-leading. It is really more like What Does (blank) Say About (blank).

The book was an easy read and an apt tool for new believers. Obviously, it flows from a particular theological perspective affording one the opportunity to suggest additional considerations.

The topics addressed are:

God.
The Bible.
The Future.
Pain and Suffering.
Jesus.
The Kingdom of God.Heaven and Hell.
Humanity.
Christian Living.
Today's World.

I would recommend the book, having found it helpful.

Received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

2 comments:

Selena said...

Hi Bob,

I would be interested to know more about the way the author wrote this book. I reviewed the female version of it, "A Conversation with God for Women," by Marcia Ford, on my blog (http://glencampbellclan.blogspot.com/2011/03/book-review-conversation-with-god-for.html).

I'm a woman, but I did not like the idea of a woman answering things from God's and Jesus's perspectives. I don't think any person is qualified to answer something, speaking "as God," unless they are purely paraphrasing scripture. I found that she twisted her answers slightly, and I felt the author was weaving her own opinions and point of view, which were contrary to scripture, into her responses.

Did you find the book that you reviewed to be like that at all?

I felt the Marcia Ford book was so misleading that I ripped it to shreds and threw it away when I was done with it, not wanting to pass it on to anyone.

Blessings,
Selena Campbell

Bob Lewis said...

Hi Selena.

My reaction to this book was not as strong as yours to the one oriented toward women. A Conversation With God was oriented toward theological concerns versus ethical, none of which elicited a reaction on my part.