Pearcey Report

Pearcey Report

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wow!

Bonhoeffer, Eric Metaxas

Having read Cost of Discipleship and other Bonhoeffer works, I thought I had a handle on the man.

Was I ever mistaken!

Metaxas’ work has opened my eyes and motivated me to re-visit and re-consider what I have read. (Do I hear the resonance of “too soon old, and too late smart”?)

For those who know me intimately and my struggles in the mid 80s, Bonhoeffer’s struggles, in terms of ethics, really resonates. How I identify with him and wonder why God, in His sovereignty kept this awareness from me during that time frame?

Read the book…as I intend a re-read in the days ahead.

Applicability of his message?

That is for you to determine

2 comments:

Gary D. Collier said...

I hear you on this. I'm not a Dietrich Bonhoeffer scholar, either, but have been deeply moved by his commitment to the principle of the Kingdom of God in the face of horrifying circumstances. My favorite work of his is Life Together, and one of my favorite quotes (among others) is this: "Just as surely as God desires to lead us to a knowledge of genuine Christian fellowship, so surely must we be overwhelmed by a great disillusionment with others, with Christians in general, and, if we are fortunate, with ourselves."

Bob Lewis said...

Thanks, Gary. Being removed from that era, subjectively, our assessment of DB's conduct, etc., can be somewhat stilted. For my part, I resonated with his struggles with "truth" and deception, recalling my personal battles during the early years of the SOHL struggle. No easy answer to complex issues.