Pearcey Report

Pearcey Report

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It Is Over-Finally

Shipwrecked on God and stranded on omnipotence.

Years ago, I heard this phrase in the context of a believer, Vance Havner, speaking as to his current status following his wife’s translation to heaven.

Shipwrecked on God and stranded on omnipotence.

That describes, precisely, my present posture regarding our supposed involvement in participatory government.

The will of God is now known, relative to the highest office in the land. Barak Obama is our President.

What that means is anybody’s wildest guess.

Is it a blessing, a curse, or a combination of both? I suspect there are hosts of folk in each of the positions.

From my perspective, is it probably the latter.

But, for me, there is one obvious obligation: I am to pray for him. This I will do, daily.

The primary objective of that prayer is the well-being of the believing community.

The content of the prayer is not stated explicitly; simply its goal.

I do rejoice in the election of an African-American, as I would have rejoiced had we seen a woman in the second highest office in the land.

Only in America, generally!

But, ultimately, my allegiance and focus is on the King of Kings and His program for humanity.

Sooner or later (as it has in the past), this will find me at cross purposes with our government.

Someone far wiser than me referred to government as a beast needing to be chained. Another said it was a “dangerous servant and a fearful master”.

As a believer, I am obligated to wrestle with the statements of the Lord Jesus and his Apostle , Paul.

I am obligated to “render” and to “submit”; the parameters of which are not in Caesar’s court.

Ain’t that a beach!

How much easier it would have been had I been presented with a “laundry list” of actions!

I do pray President-elect Obama would experience an epiphany on the Sanctity of Human Life and reject, categorically, FOCA.

If he doesn’t, I trust it is not in God’s sovereign plan I become a “drag on society” and need to be “put down” for the sake of those following me!

Shamgar! Where are you?

No comments: